The Ponderings of a Princess on a journey to be more like the King Who created her...

Monday, April 29, 2013

Windy Louise - 6/12-4/13

Our sweet little Windy Louise got bit (again) by a Rattlesnake last evening.  What a heart wrenching time to watch her labor through the pain.  We did all we could do for her short of taking her into an emergency vet clinic.  We called a hot-line and the doctor on call told us how to take care of her and make her comfortable.  So, we gave her Tylenol and Benadryl and waited.  She couldn't out wait the venom this time.  The snake was too big and she too little.  We are heart broken.  Skeeter, her best friend, is lost.

She came to us almost a year ago.  Running down the country road in front of our house.  She ran out of the cornfield.  No bigger than my hand.  Lyric jumped out of the car and ran to meet her.  She ran to Lyric like she belonged to us - and she did.  She jumped into Lyric's arms and into our hearts right away.  What a cutey.  We will miss her terribly.

I hate the feelings it brings up.  I hate holding my kids while they cry and grieve.  I hate the feeling of loss and sadness that will live with us now.  I know my kids will be fine - and I will too...it just brings up the pain again.  Re-opens the wounds of loss.  I want to shield them from it, to make sure it doesn't affect them...but I can't.  I can't keep them from what life brings us.  My prayer is that God will use this loss to make them stronger and build their confidence in their ability to love unconditionally.  The possibility is that they will choose not to love another pet...not to let themselves get too close.  I don't want that to translate (or transfer over) to people.  So, if you think about it, pray for our little family.  Pray for our hearts to heal quickly.

No comments: