The Ponderings of a Princess on a journey to be more like the King Who created her...

Thursday, September 13, 2007

"Be Still"

Many of you know that I have been "laying up in the bed" for about a week now with an injury to my back. It has not been easy for me, but because of the prayers of faithful friends, I know God has given me the strength to do it.

Do you remember, as a kid, your mom or dad telling you to "be still"? You start to get that nervous feeling; worried you're not going to be able to? I've never been a very still person. It's hard for me to do. When I try to be still, I'm always thinking of things I need to get done and pretty soon I'm up and going again. I'm more of a Martha than a Mary. (Luke 10:38-42) I've always wanted to be more like Mary, but it's so hard for me to be still.

This week, a lot of people have been telling me to "be still". My husband, my family & friends are saying, "be still". The Dr. said, "Be still and rest your back". Frankly, I haven't had much of a choice with an injured back. I'm not completely sure how I injured it in the first place. I think that's why all of this has been so frustrating. It even seemed God was telling me to "BE STILL!" I read in Ps 46:10, "Be still and know that I am God." I prayed, "Lord, don't I know that?" "Do You think I'm not aware that You ARE?" Then I come to realize that He's not being "king of the obvious" here. He just wants to be with me. No distractions, no interruptions. He wants me to know HIM. What an amazing thought. Ps. 46:1 says, "God is our refuge and strength, an abundantly available help in trouble." I love that! Another translation says, "a very present help in time of trouble". He's not some far off, unreachable god - He's very present and abundantly available. It's my Father God that is a very available and reachable God that wants me to be still and know Him. It's my Father God that sits on the bedside while I rest. It's my Father God that that wants to know me. "Help me, Father, to sit at your feet as Mary did. To listen to Your voice and know YOU."

No comments: