The Ponderings of a Princess on a journey to be more like the King Who created her...

Sunday, July 26, 2009

A Brief Encounter With Mary and Martha

Let's have a brief encounter with Mary and Martha. Luke 10:38-42

vs 40 - "But Martha was distracted with all HER preparations..." The preparations were hers, not the Lords - She's so distracted by all she's trying to do she even "fusses" at God - "Don't you care that my sister has left me to do all the work?" But Jesus looks at her with love - "Martha, Martha" (Sandi, Sandi...insert your name here). I can almost see His tender smile as He shakes His head - "You are worried and bothered about so many things - really only one thing is important. Mary has chosen the good part, which will not be taken from her."

Do I believe we need to take care of things around our homes and make sure our kids are fed and clothed - absolutely. Do I think our homes should be hospitable and welcoming to others - Yep, I do. But, I don't believe He wants us to be going about life frantically. A nervous wreck when things aren't "just so" or they aren't getting done (in our time frame). Is Martha necessary - yes. But remember, Jesus told her "Mary has chosen the better option". I can be as "Martha" as the next woman. I used to ask my husband to load the dishwasher and then re-do it when he wasn't looking because it wasn't loaded the "right" way.  I've often said that I'm an organized woman trapped in a messy womans body. Talk about frustration! 



Listen, if our "trying" and "busy-ness" get in the way of worshiping Jesus - it's sin. Plain and simple.

So whatever you're doing worship Him while doing it. Worship Him, knowing He's leading you to a new place of service to Him today. "To obey is better than sacrifice". He doesn't need our "work", or "trying", or "busy-ness". He wants our hearts. If our hearts are all wrapped up in the "doing" of stuff, then He doesn't really have us at all.

No comments: